The TMXmoney.com website offers individuals and investment professionals access to information and services. It features a user-friendly environment that provides an interactive, in-depth look at Canadian and U.S. equities, mutual funds and commodities. The site is optimized for Internet Explorer 7 (and above), and current versions of Firefox. Use the following links to navigate through the topics on this Help page.
- Navigating the Site
- Getting a Quote and Finding a Company's Ticker Symbol
- Exchange Identifiers Attached To Symbols
- Listed Company Lookup
- Indices Quotes and Information
- Using the Portfolio and Alerts Tool
- Using the Screener Tools
- Enabling Your Browser's Java Plug-In
- Site Map
- Stock Market Terms
- Contact Us
There are a number of ways to navigate the TMXmoney.com website:
The tabbed navigation bar across the top of the website enables you to browse the sections in which you are interested (Quotes & Charts, News). Each section allows you to choose specific topics of interest from its drop-down menu. Once you have selected a topic, a matching navigation appears in the left-hand side of the site.
Located on the top-left side of each page, use the Site Search function to locate specific information by querying a word or subject. Site Search queries both the TMX.com and TMXmoney.com websites.
- Enter the word(s) or topic(s) of interest.
- Click on the Go button to the right of the Search field or press Enter on your keyboard.
- A new page will appear displaying hyperlinks to the pages on TMX.com and TMXmoney.com that contain your search criteria. There may be several screens of results, depending on the specificity of your keywords.
- If you are not satisfied with the search result, click Advanced and follow the on-screen instructions.
On various pages throughout TMXmoney.com, you will find hyperlinks designed to help you move easily through information that is related to the topic on that page, and to access other documents such as PDF files.
The Get Quote feature allows you to enter a ticker symbol and receive market information for a specific company on a North American exchange. The exchanges covered for quotes include Toronto Stock Exchange, TSX Venture Exchange (including NEX) NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX and OTCBB. Located at the top-left of the site, use it to query Canadian and U.S. stock, mutual fund and index symbols.
If you know the symbol, enter it into the Get Quote text-entry box and click on the Go button or press Enter on your keyboard to get a quote. For U.S. listings, you will need to add ":US" after the symbol.
- Access Get Quote feature.
- Enter the ticker symbol or start typing the company name. This will launch the embedded symbol lookup feature and automatically locate a security's ticker symbol. Look up stocks, mutual funds and indices using the embedded symbol lookup function.
- Click on the Go button or press Enter on your keyboard to go to the Quote page for that symbol.
You can also use the Symbol Lookup pop-up box, which is accessed by clicking on the Symbol Lookup link below the Get Quote text-entry field. The Symbol Lookup box enables you to locate symbols for a wide variety of financial instruments including stocks, mutual funds, options, futures and indices.
When you get a quote on TMXmoney, you will see the symbol appended with a hyphen and letter(s) to denote the exchange on which the symbol trades. The identifiers are:
|:CC or (none)||TSX and TSXV Canadian Consolidated Quotes (CCQ)|
|:CNX||Canadian Securities Exchange (CNSX)|
|:PUR||Canadian Securities Exchange (PURE)|
|:TMS||TMX Select ATS|
|:CHI||CHI-X Canada ATS|
|:TCM||TriAct Canada Marketplace (Dark Pools)|
|:LQN||Liquidnet Canada (Dark Pools)|
|:ICX||Instinet Canada (Dark Pools)|
|:US||US Equities and Indices Exchanges|
- MOE = Montreal Exchange
- OPRAC = OPRA (U.S. Options Exchanges)
- CBT = Chicago Board of Trade (CBOT)
- CME = Chicago Mercantile Exchange
- CMX = New York Mercantile Exchange - COMEX Division
- NMX = New York Mercantile Exchange - NYMEX Division
To access the Listed Company Directory or locate a specific listed company on the Toronto Stock Exchange or TSX Venture Exchange:
- Choose "Listed Company Directory" under the "TSX Market Activity" navigation tab, or select it from the global set of links at the top of the page.
- Use either search method: Alphabetical, Name Search or Symbol Search.
- Select the letter that corresponds with the first letter of the name of the listed company you wish to view.
- Scroll through the alphabetical listing of companies and click the company name.
- Select the "Name search" radio button.
- Select the type of search you wish to conduct: "Starts with" or "Contains."
- "Starts with" will search for all listed company names that begin with the word(s) or character(s) you type into the entry field.
- "Contains" will search for all listed company names that contain the word(s) or character(s) you type into the entry field.
- Complete the entry field with a full or partial company name.
- Click the "Search" button.
- Select the "Symbol search" radio button.
- Select the type of search you wish to conduct: "Starts with" or "Contains."
- "Starts with" will search for all symbols that begin with the word(s) or character(s) you type into the entry field.
- "Contains" will search for all symbols that contain the word(s) or character(s) you type into the entry field.
- Complete the entry field with a full or partial company symbol.
- Click the "Search" button.
Within each Listed Company Directory, you can also access tabs that will display Recently Listed, Recently Delisted, and Suspended companies over the past 90 days.
The "Indices & Constituents" navigation selection located under TSX Market Activity displays a list of all the TSX and TSX Venture indices. The following features are available:
- Access specific index information by clicking on the hyperlinked name of any index in the list.
- A specific Quote Results page and Constituent Companies page will appear.
- Click on the "D" and "C" icons located on the right-hand side of the index name to access the index description and constituent companies respectively.
- Value - value of the index.
- Net Change - difference between current value and previous close value.
- % Change - net change divided by previous close multiplied by 100.
- Volume - the traded share volume of all constituents of the index.
- Open - the opening value of the index.
- High - the intraday highest value the index has reached.
- Low - the intraday lowest value the index has reached.
- Value - the value of all the shares traded on the index.
- TRIV - Total Return Index Value. This is a measure of the index with dividends reinvested on their ex-dividend day.
- Rolling 52 Week High - weekly high index level for the past 52 weeks.
- P/E Ratio - Float Quoted Market Value / Aggregate Earnings Pool.
- Rolling 52 Week Low - weekly low index level for the past 52 weeks.
- Dividend Yield - calculated as Aggregate Dividend / Float Quoted Market Value x 100.
The My TMXmoney Portfolio and Alerts module is a transaction-based portfolio tracking tool that enables you to set up and watch a list of symbols in a hypothetical Portfolio, plus track and add individual transactions representing your purchase or sale of each of those symbols. You may create up to 5 portfolios of up to 30 stocks and/or mutual funds each.
To use the Portfolio and Alerts tool, you will need to register an account. The Registration and Login page enables you to quickly register a free account and get started entering your portfolio and alerts.
Once you have registered, you can return to the Portfolio and Alerts section by selecting "My TMXmoney Portfolio and Alerts" from the "Research & Tools" navigation tab. Enter your username and password in the fields provided on the Registration and Login page in order to gain access to your account. Note that your browser must be set to accept cookies in order to login successfully.
If you forget your password, you can use the "Lost Password" link on the Registration and Login page to request a new password. You will need your username or email address as you entered them when you first registered to use the Portfolio and Alerts tool. Your account details will be sent to the email address you have on file with us.
When you first register for a Portfolio and Alerts account on TMXmoney.com, you arrive at the "My Web Portfolio" page. Within the Portfolio dropdown menu, you will notice a Default Portfolio exists by default. If you are new to creating an online portfolio, this is an excellent tool to help familiarize yourself with the TMXmoney Portfolio and Alerts tools.
From the main page you are also presented with the New Portfolio option, which allows you to name a portfolio, add symbols, and save the portfolio. If you decide to postpone creating a portfolio right after you register, you can always return to this page by selecting the "New Portfolio" link at the top of the Portfolio module. A default set of symbols will be displayed in a Portfolio view for you in this case.
If you wish to edit a portfolio holding, click on the "Edit Portfolio" link at the top of the Portfolio module. This link will take you to a screen displaying all your current Portfolio holdings information, and allow you to adjust the details of any previously-entered information.
When a company changes the symbol for its security, the symbol change will result in the old symbol being invalid in the Portfolio. However, all data associated with that old symbol will be retained so no historical information is lost. You will need to manually adjust that symbol from the old symbol to the new symbol through the Edit Portfolio screen.
Go to the Edit Portfolio page to delete a transaction by using the "Delete" check boxes to the right of each symbol in your Portfolio list. Remember to click the Save Changes button at the bottom of the screen to save your changes and delete the holdings you wish - otherwise, they will not be deleted.
Use the "Delete Portfolio" link in the Portfolio module to access the "Delete a Portfolio" screen. Here you can choose to delete only one portfolio at a time. Once you have successfully deleted a portfolio you will be given the option to delete another, or you can return to the main screen. Important Notice: portfolio deletions are permanent - there is no way to retrieve a portfolio or any of its contents once you have deleted it.
The Portfolio tool includes a handy way to download your portfolio information for use in Excel or another application. While in the portfolio you wish to download, click on the "Download Portfolio" link. You will be asked where you wish to save the download file (in .CSV format which is Excel and OpenOffice compatible). Once you select the location, the file will download to your computer with all your portfolio holdings information.
In the Portfolio View area, you may create one Custom view, containing the information you choose from a wide variety of options. To do so, click on the "Custom" link in the green Portfolio View bar. You will be taken to the "Edit Custom View" screen, where you may select up to 7 columns of information to display in your Custom view (the 8th column displayed will always be the Symbol column).
Note that once you have created a Custom view for your Portfolio, you may not delete this view - but you can edit it as many times as you wish.
To set alerts while in the Portfolio and Alerts tool, click on the "Alerts" tab at the top of the screen. This will take you to the "My Stock Alerts" module. Note that you can return to the Portfolio module at any time by selecting the "Web Portfolio" tab.
First, choose the "My Contacts" link at the top of the Alerts module to configure which email address(es) you wish to use. Note that, if your wireless carrier supports the delivery of email-to-text, you can include the email alias for your wireless phone number.
Once you have set up the email address(es) you wish to have alerts delivered to, choose "Add Alert" to configure up to 30 separate alerts. You can choose from a wide variety of filters by which to configure price, news, and other alert triggers.
You are always able to view a list of currently configured alerts using the "My Alerts" link at the top of the Alerts module. This screen also allows you to turn off, turn on, modify and delete alerts.
TMXmoney.com offers a Stock Screener and a Mutual Fund Screener to help you sort through Canadian and U.S. stocks and mutual funds based on a variety of filters and criteria. Each screener had a set of default criteria, which can be modified by adding and deleting criteria settings.
Click on the "X" button to the left of any criteria row to delete that particular criteria from your screener settings. To add a new or additional criteria, click on the "Add New Criteria" link at the bottom of the screener criteria selections. You can also modify any criteria setting by clicking within the Criteria entry field and selecting another filter setting from the drop-down list that appears. Based on the filter you select, the "Values" fields will configure to choices applicable to that particular filter.
Once you have all the filters selected that you wish to use in your screen, click on the "Run Screen" button to display the results for your criteria. Note that a maximum of 100 results will be displayed, so it helps to be as specific in your screening criteria as possible.
The Stock Screener also includes a set of preset filter choices, which can be accessed using the Preset Screens drop-down menu.
In order to view a variety of data on our site, you will need to have Java enabled in your web browser. To do so:
- Select Tools | Internet Options.
- Select the Security tab.
- Choose the zone "Internet" by clicking on its icon, then click on the "Custom Level" button.
- Scroll through the list of items that appears until you locate "Scripting of Java applets" Ensure that this option is enabled.
- Next, select the Advanced tab.
- Scroll down the list of Advanced features until you locate the section "Java (Sun)". Ensure the Java box is checked.
- Click on the OK button at the bottom right of the Internet Options dialog box to save your changes and exit.
- Select Tools | Options.
- In the dialog box that appears, select "Content" from the top navigation icons.
- Click on the OK button at the bottom of the dialog box to save your changes and exit.
Click here to access the site map for our website.
Click here to access a glossary of terms commonly used on this website.
If you have any questions about the TMXmoney.com website that this help system is unable to assist you with, please send a detailed question, comment or suggestion to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We'd be pleased to assist you with your question, and always appreciate feedback on our site.